Heather Ross Mendocino Quilt, Here I Come!


There is nothing more fun than planning your next quilt! I have been buying the long out of print and hard to find Heather Ross Mendocino fabric for this next quilt, and now it's time to cut and piece everything.  I spent months accumulating fat quarters or more of every print in the set, which was a considerable feat.  Many thanks to everyone who sold me a precious piece from their stash, I really appreciate it.

After a lot of thought, I have decided to use Elizabeth Hartmann's Honey Quilt Top pattern from her book Modern Patchwork. She has many versions of this honey quilt top on her blog Oh Fransson! that you can check out, they are wonderful.  I think this pattern will show off the Mendocino fabrics really well since the pieces are not too large and not too small.

My next decision is how to put the hexagons for the quilt top together.  Originally, I was thinking by color group (plum, fuchsia, brown, orange, gold, blush, light blue, natural) and shading from the darker hexagons at the bottom left up through the lighter colors in the upper right corner. Kind of like this...  


Of course, I could get scrappy and mix the colors together throughout the quilt top, like the layout below. Your thoughts?  If you have a favorite configuration or a new suggestion for me, I would love to hear your idea so please let me know.


These Mendocino fabrics are so beautiful!  I am using the Glass Beach print in fuchsia with the little fishes for my divider pieces in the hexagons.  It works really well in place of a single solid color.  I actually could not find a solid color that I liked, and I really looked around for one.  The little fishes look like this... they are so cute.



I am also thinking about using the little fishes in the upper right corner of the quilt if I shade from dark bottom left corner to light upper right corner.  I have cut some fish triangles to also place here and there throughout the hexagons. This project should be really fun.

Happy quilting!
Susan


Comments

  1. Ooh! I've definitely been contemplating doing the Honey quilt in Mendocino, but I was wondering how it would look all cut up!

    I like the colour-grouped, actually - I'd probably go one step further and have five triangles from one fabric, and then the sixth fabric is an 'accent' fabric.

    This would work particularly well for me since I have just a little piece of some fabrics from the collection and yardage of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sel, I like your idea, especially if you have varying amounts of fabric. I am currently trying two colors in each hexagon just to see if that looks better. We shall see... This quilt top is more challenging than I thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know how yours goes, if you're inclined to post updates. I'm presently contemplating either a grey sashing or a brown sashing - I initially thought white, but I think that might be a bit too much contrast.

      Delete
  3. Sel, I am now planning to go back to square 1 and use a different pattern altogether for this quilt top. It just isn't coming together in the way I envisioned. How is your Mendocino quilt coming? Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Large Rosette Underway